Monday, March 3, 2008

On the Airwaves with Story Corps.


Today I had an amazing opportunity to spend quality time with my birth mother, Alyson. We were invited to record our adoption story in San Antonio, Texas, with Story Corps. which is part of National Public Radio (NPR). Their mission is to honor and celebrate people’s lives through listening. The stories they capture are stored in the Library of Congress so that future generations can listen and learn. http://www.storycorps.net/

It was of particular of interest for Alyson and me to return and record our conversation in the Alamo City because this is precisely the spot where our story began. As a pregnant teen, Alyson lived in the maternity center at Methodist Mission Home (MMH) for about three months. She was one of the first residents to live in their brand new facility in 1968. Oops, I slipped! Now you know how old I am...but how great to return to the MMH campus in 2008 to the very blessing chapel where my parents held me in their arms and dedicated me to the Lord at the tender age of three days old. Only this time, at nearly 40 years old, I was standing beside the woman who gave me life and who created a home for me through adoption. The moment was intensely humbling and quite gratifying.

After wrapping up our interview (which took place right beside the Alamo) we headed to El Mercado to feast on the fine cuisine served at Mi Tierra! All I can say is, "Bring more salsa, tortillas, and pecan prailines." What a fine way to wrap up our day.

OLE!!

No comments: