Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Letter to My Son

Unmarried women face many fears when they discover they are pregnant and they are not prepared. Some are immediately tempted to abort because fears of the future for their children are so great they cannot fathom any other alternative. What is she to do? Where is she to turn for answers?

I would like us to consider a woman from many generations past who faced some very similar fears: the mother of Moses. Let’s remember that when Moses was born, the ruling Pharaoh demanded that all male Hebrew babies be killed. Moses’ mother must have harbored very real fears and concerns for her baby’s future. As she held her infant son I can imagine she wondered, “Do I attempt to hide him any longer? If I’m discovered they will surely murder him. Perhaps I should end his life before they do...What am I to do? Where do I turn to for answers?”

Moses’ mother was not paralyzed by her own fears. She took time to think, to pray, to make a plan, and then to act. She deliberately put her trust in Yahweh. He would take care of her son.

Here is a letter she might have written to her tiny boy* :

My precious son Moses,

How deeply I love you! Yet the Pharaoh said all Hebrew baby boys must be thrown in the Nile and drowned. I could only hide you for three months. To save your life, I carefully wove a basket big enough for you, waterproofing it so it would not sink. I sobbed as I hid you away among the Nile's reeds. But I knew this was the best choice for you. Your sister watched as the princess found you there! God's hand is upon you, my son. As you grow up, please understand that I allowed another family to raise you so that you might have a special life - one I could not give you because of circumstances.

With all my loving heart and soul,
Your mother

* taken from Birthmothers

By equipping pregnancy counselors Act of Life helps today’s women see that they, too, can overcome their fears. They too, can take time to think, to pray, to make a plan, and then to act. Adoption just might be the right choice for her and her baby. Please pray with us as we continue to advance adoption awareness so that all women will be given the opportunity to fully explore adoption as a way to create homes for their children.

No comments: