Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day Blessings

Phones will be ringing and florists will be delivering record numbers of bouquets this weekend since Mother's Day is Sunday. How are you planning to spend this day set aside to celebrate mothers everywhere?

Mother's Day will most likely bring up all sorts of emotions. For those of us with young children we look forward to homemade cards and perhaps piles of pancakes for 'breakfast in bed'. For others, Mother's Day may be marked with sadness due to a mother who has passed away during the previous year.

I particularly enjoy celebrating Mother's Day because I have two women to honor. My first mother, my birth mother, who gave me life and provided a family for me through adoption and my permanent mother who walked beside me each day of my life and reared me into adulthood. They are two very different women, but they are my two heroines! While I have inherited certain biological characteristics from one, I have acquired learned characteristics from the other.

However you choose to spend Mother's Day I pray you will pause to remember the birth mothers who are rarely remembered on Mother's Day. These courageous women make life possible for their children and create stable homes in the arms of loving mothers who will care for them on a daily basis. I also hope you will pause and remember the adoptive mothers who have opened their homes to children who are not born of their flesh but have been born from the love of their hearts.

No Mother's Day would be complete without the opportunity to ooh and aah a little. So, take a peek at this video which illustrates mothers come in a variety of packages. Whether a child is born into or brought into a family does not matter. Whether the child looks like the mom or not has no bearing on his or her value and place within the family. The love of a mother remains the same.




Mothers love children. It is just what they do.
Happy Mother's Day,
Julie Stobbe

No comments: